Monday, March 1, 2010

Jewelry By Student Hannah Kaufman

Hannah Kaufman, a student in Coleen Gee's Handmade Jewelry class, sent me some images of a beautiful piece she did as part of a project.




I asked Hannah for a bit of background, and here's what she had to say:

"I have been making beaded jewelry my whole life, since I was 4 years old. I have been in the diamond business for 15 years, designing high-end jewelry for a store (JR's Diamonds & Jewelry) in Sherman Oaks. I have always wanted to be able to actually create the metal work I was sketching and finally decided it was the right time after finding Coleen's class at UCLA Extension.

The inspiration for the butterfly came from a close friend of mind who calls herself "Butterfly Dreamer." The assignment called for a spider on a web....I decided to alter that image a little into something more "beautiful." :) The whole thing came together quite serendipitously, with Coleen encouraging me to push myself every step of the way.

This is my first time creating a hand-sawed piece and soldering and making a pin back!

I'm truly excited for the future of my collection as I have been given amazing confidence in this class and know that it will only get better from here!"

You can see more of Hannah's work on her website, hannahmade.com. Her tag line is "Every Woman Is A Muse"©. I like it!

Thanks to Hannah for sharing her piece - I have to say, for the first time sawing and soldering, this is amazing work.

No comments: