Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Instructor Interview: Hacob Khodaverdian

This summer, we're pleased to welcome back veteran instructor Hacob Khodaverian. Hacob will be taking advantage of our downtown classrooms at Figueroa Courtyard to present Advanced Photographic Lighting Techniques. The class also includes two action-packed Saturdays at McCadden Space studios in Hollywood. It's a great chance to get some hands-on time with lights and equipment, which I've heard many students say is a valuable learning experience.

I asked Hacob some hard-hitting questions about photography, and here's what he had to say:

What do you think are the most important qualities for a photographer to have?

Embrace rather than reject. By that I mean a photographer should embrace new ideas, new technologies, new techniques, and of course new ways of doing business.

What are the challenges of studio photography?

I can't think of another profession, or even hobby for that matter, where things change as rapidly as they do in photography. Keeping up with these changes is the biggest challenge we face in photography, and it is only through sharing of our experiences that we can learn and further our knowledge.
Another major challenge is the need to reinvent yourself as a photographer and an artist.

What is a tip or trick that you have learned to make the studio process run more smoothly?

Rather than thinking of myself as the "photographer," and the chairman of the board, I carry myself as just one of the crew members and run the shoot as a collective process. I stay open to new directions when the one at hand is not working. Also, pre-planing is a major part of the photo shoot process. You could be the most disorganized person on earth, but somehow the seriousness of these photo shoots (once you realize it) makes you very prepared.

Do you remember your first professional assignment?

My first professional assignment was for Westway Magazine. It was a one day shoot, but took me a week to complete. It turned out well, but made me realize I have so much to learn.





(images by Hacob Khodaverdian)

No comments: