Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Sleepin' Ain't Easy

I have always been, and will always be, a terrible sleeper. Like many people, I'm restless, fall asleep late, wake up too early, wake up in the night, etc. I like to think that I'm demonstrating evolutionary skills that would have served my ancestors well, like if you are sleeping in a cave and have to wake up really quickly because there is a tiger outside. But really, in this modern age, there is no reason for me to wake up with a start because the upstairs neighbor flushed his toilet.

Anyway, I identified strongly with Christoph Neimann's piece Good Night and Tough Luck in the New York Times. His simple illustrations perfectly capture the comedy of errors that is trying to get a good night's sleep.


For example, this is totally exactly what it's like to wake up at 4:30am and wrestle with getting up to go to the bathroom. As you can see on the little man's face, he goes from misery, to anger, to sadness, and finally to acceptance.


Also, am I the only one who has been drifting off to sleep, and then shot up in panic because I realized that the mole on my back in probably an aggresive melanoma, and I probably have like, three weeks left to live, tops. Anybody?

At least I know Christoph is with me. See the whole piece here. And if you haven't seen it already, be sure to check out his other great piece I Lego NY.

No comments: