Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Sue Blackwell's Paper Kingdoms

Usually when I'm considering things to post, I'll look at them and be like "Eh, that's pretty cool." But then some things I look at and am like "WHA! How did...with the... and the...WOAH!"

That happened when I looked at Sue Blackwell's work. She takes used books, and then slices and cuts the pages to form intricate scenes that relate to the content.

Maybe conceptually this does not seem like that big of a deal. I kind of thought so, but it's the detail and scope of her pieces that make them really arresting.

Sue says that her projects can take up to two months to complete, and that "My reasoning is that half of the books have been sat on shelves for years anyway, or that they were about to be thrown away and destroyed forever. I began feeling guilty about cutting up the books, but I had the integrity that I would create something magical from it."

You totally did.







Via Jezebel

No comments: