Wednesday, April 22, 2009

xkcd Publishes Book, Nerds Cheer


If you a) are a nerd or b) have friends who are nerds, it's likely that you've been forwarded an xkcd comic strip, with some kind of commentary like "OMG check out this comic about CSS!" or "Ha, look at this comic about Wikipedia founder Jimmy Wales!" Basically, it's a crudely drawn webcomic that explores the humorous potential of coding, social networking, science, mathematics and various other modern concerns. I don't remember when I discovered it, but I love it. I don't understand about 20% of the strips (especially the ones that have to do with coding terms and languages that I'm not familiar with), and every so often there will be a really tender one about love and relationships that makes me go "awww."

Anyway, I read today in the NY Times that the strip's author, Randall Munroe, is putting together a book. An actual paper book, on paper, that people will physically hold and read. This may seem like a strange direction to take a creative endeavor so focused on internet technology, but Monroe explains "I have this urge. You want to print them out and put them up on places. There is something good about collecting them together."

I agree, and I am excited for this to be published. In the meantime, here are some of my favorite strips. I've arranged them in order of nerd factor, from "Ha ha, cute!" to "Ooooooh man, that is so nerdy."

When Pixels Find New Life on Real Paper - NY Times

(Image by Jodi Hilton for The New York Times)







No comments: