Monday, May 11, 2009

Loaded Logos

As I've mentioned before, we love us some graphic design over here in the Visual Arts program. Because I have juvenile sensibilities, my favorite designs are ones that have visual tricks or puns in them. So I had fun reading Graphic Design Blog's list of 25 Logos with Hidden Messages. I also want to give big ups to the author of Graphic Design Blog for calling it "Graphic Design Blog." I've gotten some flack for calling this "Arts Blog" because it's not catchy and it should have a real name, not just a description, etc. But I like "Arts Blog," and I'm going to forge ahead, buoyed by the knowledge that there are others out there who share my vision of simple, no frills blog names (plus it's too late to change it).

Here are some of the most interesting "trick" logos.


I don't know if this should be considered a "trick," but according to Graphic Design Blog, the familiar yellow arrow "says that Amazon.com has everything from A to Z and it also represents the smile brought to the customer’s face." I never thought of the A to Z thing before - I kind of thought the arrow represented, like, things being mailed to your house. Shows what I know.

First of all, what is this a logo for? The concept of marriage has a logo? Anyway, I am not ashamed to admit that this makes me go "Awww" in my heart a little bit. The "R"s are in love! And it looks like they're holding hands. Perfect. When I see this, "So Happy Together" plays in my mind.

I am such a dork, but this is one of my favorites. The "E" and the "X" are touching to form a perfect arrow made of white space. If you've never seen this before, you're welcome.


Toblerone = deliciousness. Have you seen the huge novelty ones you can get at duty free in European airports? Insanity. Anyway, the graphic of the Swiss Alps has a dancing bear in it.


This design by Josiah Jost made me laugh. Graphic Design Blog was like "They made the film reel look like a ghost," but to me this looks like my face when I watch horror movies. They don't show the part where I shriek and batter myself with my own arms in panic, but it's there in spirit.

Via LaughtingSquid

2 comments:

Sandra Suzanne said...

OMG DANCING BEAR

Sandra Suzanne said...

Also, I like the title of your blog, but you should know that it is never too late to change it.